Immigrant Rights Group
JEFFERSON COUNTY IMMIGRANT RIGHTS ADVOCATES - that's us!!! First prize to the person who can pronounce JCIRA. We used this new name to write a letter of support for a state bill and so will keep it until we see some reason to change it.
- QUUF Public Discussion on WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A SANCTUARY COMMUNITY. Monday, Feb 20, 4-6 PM, at QUUF on San Juan Ave and 24th St. If you plan to attend, please meet with JCIRA members in the building at 3:15, for a preparatory conversation with Katie Franco.
- Postcard writing continues at Pippa's and can be on any topic, including immigrant rights, detention, deportation. Save March 5 from 3 to 5 at Pippa's Real Teas.
- Brief summary of last night's City Council meeting. Mostly very supportive of the Council but several people spoke strongly against immigrants in general. It was difficult to hear their statements but their voices are part of our community. We can learn from the experience and think about ways of establishing dialog with those having views opposed to ours.
A Council committee of three will craft a new Proposal and bring it back to the public on Feb 27
Recommendation - use e-Comment to support the City Council's efforts.
- We are concerned about reports of children in school worried about "the wall being built" and discussed whether and how we might be able to help.
Recommendation - Talk to teachers, principals, school board members you know personally to try to learn more.
- Reviewed possible Dove House support for use of their 24/7 Crisis Line in cases of detention or ICE raids. We'll just wait until their staff lets us know.
- Buttons - Several people liked the image of the United States map with the words "We Are All Immigrants" superimposed on it. But Rowan wisely wrote: "I think it has potential to offend Native Americans because while (as someone pointed out on the listserv earlier) Native Americans may have originally migrated into this continent, this is NOT consistent with many sacred and traditional native origin stories. And if someone doesn't identify as being the descendant of immigrants, who are we (as colonizers!) to contradict them? Also I am not sure if the descendants of African slaves identify their enslaved forebears as "immigrants."
Recommendation - Let's take more time to find the design and words that are perfect.
- Possible next steps to engage with Latino residents more - another KNOW YOUR RIGHTS session with Kitsap Immigrant Assistance Center will be planned, get together in small groups, people's houses, events in Catholic church. Determine whether and how we can contact people in Quilcene and Brinnon as well.
Group Leader: email@example.com
- Al Bergstein's blog on access to healthcare, The Olympic Peninsula Healthcare Forum, shares stories from the media and otherwise about access to healthcare. You can sign up at https://olympicpeninsulahcforum.com/
- A group working on access to healthcare issues has been meeting for some time, organized through Local 20/20. Contact Jenifer Taylor to find out more and get involved. firstname.lastname@example.org 385-3666
A hearing will be held at 11:00 am on Tuesday, February 21, in the Poulsbo City Hall. Public testimony will be taken on Franciscan Harrison's application to move all its hospital beds to a new facility in Silverdale.
Issues of access to care, particularly reproductive services and end of life choices, among many others are at stake, as Franciscan is a Catholic facility, whereas before acquisition Harrison was a secular non-profit. The object of giving testimony is to slow down the process so that the Certificate isn't rubber-stamped.
Nancy Field, who has professional experience in the field of the Washington State Department of Health Certificate of Need process has offered to help with material for testimony.
Can you attend the hearing and give testimony? Testimony can be oral or can be handed in. It must be submitted by the end of the hearing. Bodies are needed to fill seats in the room. Can we carpool? (Contact Deborah Pedersen, 385-5147 about carpooling.)
Want to have a letter-writing party on Sunday Feb 19? If we can gather a group of six or more, Nancy will travel here to PT to help us write comments. Please let Deborah know so we can assess the level of interest.
Can you submit testimony but not attend the hearing? Contact Nancy Field: email@example.com for a list of issues to choose from for your individual comment. (No form letters, please!) Submit by mid-day Tuesday, February 21:
Email address for the Department of Health Analyst managing this Certificate of Need process is Karen Nidermayer: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please notify Deborah Pedersen (copied here) if you can help in any way. email@example.com
Next Meeting Feb 21st at 4PM at Jill's house
Electoral Process Group
1. Contact Kilmer: Please cosponsor HJR 48: We the People Act, “Proposing an amendment to the Constitution of the United States if the rights extended by the Constitution are the rights of natural persons only.” https://legiscan.com/US/text/HJR48/2017
Why? On November 8, 2016, the citizens of WA passed I-735, which urges "the Washington state congressional delegation to propose a federal constitutional amendment that constitutional rights belong only to individuals, not corporations, and constitutionally-protected free speech excludes the spending of money." The "We the People Amendment" is the only amendment resolution that contains the above language. The "Democracy for All" resolution is weak and does not end corporate constitutional rights. Initiative 735 won 30 out of 39 counties, 47 out of 49 Legislative Districts and all 10 Congressional Districts. In your District 6, 64.74% voted in favor; Jefferson County voted 73.24% in favor; statewide 62.82 voted in favor.
2. Contact Murray and Cantwell: Please introduce a companion bill to HJR 48 (see above).
3. Contacting Murray and Cantwell: Please do not vote to confirm Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch.
Why? Since you voted to approve Neil Gorsuch to the 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver ten years ago (appointed to the position by George W. Bush in 2006 and confirmed UNANIMOUSLY by the Senate in a voice vote), he has actively favored faith groups. Gorsuch joined opinions that sided with Hobby Lobby and argued that it would violate their religious rights if they were forced to provide employees with coverage for contraceptives as required by President Obama’s health care law. [BURWELL, SECRETARY OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES, et al. v. HOBBY LOBBY STORES, INC., et al.] Corporations are not people and therefore cannot have religious beliefs!
He also called for hearing further appeals of circuit court action that restricted displays of the Ten Commandments on public property and took a similar stand on crosses placed along highways.
Separation of church and state is not negotiable, and his past rulings prohibit his promotion to SCOTUS. He has repeatedly sided with corporations over working people and has demonstrated a hostility toward women's rights.
4. Contact Kilmer, Murray and Cantwell: Please call for the impeachment of President Donald Trump as allowed by the 25th amendment, Section 4, “Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President pro tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President.”
- A)Donald Trump has a personality disorder (severe Narcissism) which has translated into behavior and beliefs that lie far outside the norm.
- B)Trump wrote in The Art of the Deal: “When people wrong you, go after those people, because it is a good feeling and because other people will see you doing it. I love getting even.”
- C)Donald Trump is a pathological liar.
- D)There are multiple scandalous schemes going on right now with the Trump family.
- E)Trump has known for weeks that Flynn colluded with the Russians. This has led to US vulnerability to blackmail and who-knows-what else. IMPEACHMENT IS CALLED FOR!
- F)TODAY it has been reported that Russia has broken an IMF treaty regarding ballistic missiles. Donald Trump is not capable dealing with the immense responsibility that comes with being president.
- G)DONALD TRUMP IS A LOOSE COG, and the executive branch is out of control. OUR COUNTRY IS IN DANGER ON MANY LEVELS. IMPEACHMENT IS CALLED FOR ASAP!
Group Leader: firstname.lastname@example.org
Notes: We are now an action group with 22 members! At the last general meeting, the question was asked of the group as to whether or not they would be willing to travel to Port Angeles on Saturday, April 29th for the Climate Action March in support of the Peoples’ Climate March which will be in Washington D.C. There was a show of support for busing and carpooling to this major event for Climate Action for the Olympic Peninsula! We are partnering Olympic Climate Action (OCA) in Port Angeles and with Local 2020 group and Cindy Jayne. Much more information coming on how you can directly participate and make a difference! .
Calendar: Saturday, April 29th, Climate March in Port Angeles
- One of our members, Lea Falkenhagen, has secured a copy of the documentary, “The Wisdom to Survive”. We plan on organizing a showing in Port Townsend, Sequim and Port Angeles as a precursor to the march. View the trailer: http://olddogdocumentaries.org/shop/the-wisdom-to-survive/
- Please attend/support the fundraiser for #NoDAPL, Standing Rock, at the Trinity United Methodist Church on Saturday, February 18; 4:00-6:00 PM! Very important social justice/environmental issue!
- Please call/write our senators to let them know: Reject Scott Pruitt, climate denier!!! 877-969-2590(Greenpeace)
- The Return to Standing Rock benefit: More Info Here
Group Leader: email@example.com
Other Upcoming Events
- ebruary 18th - Help support the people returning to Standing Rock - Trinity Lutheran Church from 4 to 6. Suggested donation - $10.0
- Feb 19, 6-8pm Indivisible PT Meeting, NorthWest Maritime Center: find more event info on HERE
- Feb 20, Public Conversation of what it means to be a Sanctuary Community, more info below
- March 5 - Postcard party at Pippa's Real Tea 3 to 5.
- March 6, Derek Kilmer will hold a town hall in Sequim. Want to carpool? Contact Debbi Steele
- March 12 - Representative Mike Chapman comes to town 1 to 3. Location TBD
- March 15, send a postcard to Trump saying how you feel about his presidency so far.
Prepare for March 15th, 2017, a day hereafter to be known as #TheIdesOfTrump
March 15th, mail your messages to:
President (for now) Donald J. Trump
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500